My amazing retired parents happily agreed to watch our 4 year old and almost 2 year old while we took a “Just Us” vacation. This was not the first trip over night I had taken without my babies but it was the first one flying out of state and for 4 nights, the longest one.
My feelings went back and forth between excited and anxious. Before you question if I felt guilty, the answer is no. Hubby and I needed alone time. What’s a better time to do it than when kids are happily bonding with grandparents?
We were off to California and here are the some of the highlights of being on a trip with NO kids.
- The packing! Hubby suggested a carry on and part of me is still laughing at that. NO WAY! A suitcase all to myself? One with no extra dolls, books, and Hot Wheels stuffed into it? I packed close to my whole wardrobe and a couple of pairs of shoes. I was actually prepared for anything and everything although typical girl fashion… I still seemed to bring the wrong shoes and found myself complaining of having nothing to wear.
- One of my favorites? The airplane ride where I read a book in peace with my ALCOHOLIC drink and snacks (that I did not have to share!) . That could have been my get away right there. I still kept checking for the diaper bag that wasn’t to be found. Old habits.
- We were able to stay in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Long Beach. There were lots of hills that I was very happy not to be pushing a stroller up on. We walked A LOT. There was no whining. Well except that one time but you know what? Hubby was leading us to nowhere and I really had to go to the bathroom plus I was hungry. Scary wife combination as you all know.
- Bars. Not the kind at Alcatraz Prison.
- I did not wake up to a toddler crawling on me demanding waffles and an Ipad. Sleeping in is something I love to do. Highly appreciated on this trip.
- Meals that were not rushed. Enjoying coffee at breakfast while it was still hot. Uninterrupted conversations at dinner and room for dessert. Ohhhh the dessert! I need to live in Ghirardelli’s. Just a note that yes, they do give you free samples at the door but if you try to go in and out a couple of times, they do catch on fast…like the second time.
There was no schedule. We didn’t even really plan very much. It was fun to just hang out, relax, and have fun. We caught up on life and got back some of the energy that goes away thanks to day to day stuff. After 4 nights, we were excited to get back to our kids who were so happy to see us that they haven’t let me out of their sight.
Needless to say, I needed a nap 10 minutes after I got home.
I hope my parents come back to do this again soon. Maybe next month?