It would have been great if we were going to be sitting in first class during our trip for two get away but that was not the plan.
Hubby got us seats in the exit row. He was super excited because even if it wasn’t first class, we would have more leg room. Wait until you take a look at this.
Exhibit A: his leg room vs. my leg room.
Yeah. Not the best way to start off the trip. I also was not a fan of being responsible for other people should something go wrong. If I wanted that responsibility, I would have brought the kids.
The flight attendant came around and asked us if we were all willing and able.
After committing myself to the unknown, I took a good look at the others.
Have you ever really looked at the people in the exit rows?
I mean really looked.
If you were on my flight, you may have thought twice about us sitting in those seats. Let me explain.
- One guy had headphones on and his eyes were closed. There was no guarantee he was getting up to open that door in the event of an emergency. He was fast asleep with a bit of drool coming out the side of his mouth. If he did wake up, chances are he would think he was dreaming. Nothing would be done.
- The woman next to me was very into her over sized laptop and retrieving her AOL mail. If we needed her help, she would probably skip leaving in hopes the internet would FINALLY make the connection.
- There was an empty seat!!!! No really. What if the person who was supposed to be sitting there was the genius we needed in the event of an emergency landing?
- One guy had a couple of beers and was busy on his phone too. I can tell you right now he would not have moved that fast if anything had happened. This man would have chalked it up to it being like taking the garbage out, changing a diaper, picking up milk, or cleaning the house. Telling everyone to remain calm, he would have acted in his own time.I can especially vouch for his thinking because I am married to him.
- Then there was the woman in her amazing high heels and designer outfit. No way was she getting that messed up. Plus perfect manicure. Pulling that door open would surely ruin that. My bets were on some guy who knew she was sitting in the exit row would have come running to help her out at the slightest hint of anything going wrong.
At this point if you are still reading and not completely freaking out over the next time you will be on a plane, then you may be wondering how do I evaluate my own self? That’s easy.
In case of an emergency, I would do what I do best.
Run for the mini bar.