Thanksgiving is here! We will brave through traffic to get to one place or many places to gather, eat A LOT, and give thanks for all that we have.
I raise my glass to you (because I am VERY thankful if you are reading this) and present to you things we can drink to and be grateful for on this day. Grab your drink and start reading!
- The parade. Even if you don’t watch the whole thing, you can’t help but flip the channel back and forth to see who is performing and which balloon is making an appearance. Plus Santa. No one beats Santa. (This activity pairs best with a mimosa by the way.)
- The prep work. It starts so early in the morning right up until that moment HOURS later that the turkey is still not cooked. You wait for what seems like forever as people keep taking turns sticking hands into strange places on that bird. (This is also your excuse for all day drinking.)
- For the ultimate thanksgiving outfit. Over the years, this has ranged from the very dressy (mom made me wear it!) to trendy (because that’s how we were in our twenties) to let’s just pull out the cleanest pair of yoga pants and call it modern holiday wear. Hey at least we can wear fancy shoes to make it look good.
- The kiddie table. The absolute best place to be. It is the home of the original food fight and all things not proper at such a formal type of meal. My favorite memories are of my dad always trying to get a seat there. Most likely because my mom was nagging him to eat some kind of green vegetable.
- The first time you sit at the adult table and wished you were back at the kiddie one. (Note: This only applies if they are not your own kids.)
- Speaking of the adult table… all of the dysfunctional talk about sex, politics, and life gets to be a bit much. I want to wear a shirt that says STOP RIGHT NOW. Wait. That might just be my family and friends. (Refill, please!)
- For fielding off the following inappropriate questions: Do you have a significant other? Why not? Is it serious? When will you get engaged? Shouldn’t you be planning a wedding? Why aren’t you pregnant? When is the next one coming? Do you really like your hair like that? Hmmm maybe no pie for you, don’t you think?, Why haven’t we seen more of you lately? Do you have a job yet? Is that really going to be your career? Are you still in school? How much money do you make? Why don’t you call more? Are you sure you can’t visit more? Is that all you are going to eat? (This could really be a drinking game in itself but you would probably fall on the floor before it ended.)
- The tradition of going around and stating what you are thankful for. By the time it gets to you, the best answers have been chosen and you are looking around for the next bottle of wine. Also pie because… pie.
- The fact that even though it is all craziness and chaos, you would not change it for a second and will be repeating it all next year. Just maybe ditching the fancy shoes and wearing slippers.
- Also note to self: Always bring more alcohol next time. The questions get worse.
Happy Thanksgiving from 40 Wishes and Counting ! I am so thankful for the readers who support me and my writing. Have a wonderful holiday. Cheers! 🙂